2017-05-17

No 253 - Seiko 6139-6002

OK, so which one of you Seiko nerds have not ended up in the 6139 chronograph swamp? Not many I assume. Man, I didn’t even want to go there but they’ve been circling all around me where ever I’ve been. “The first automatic chronograph in space and yadayadayada”. Jeez, I even had one in my box, which had been given to me by S.L. just in case I wanted to buy one, for over a year and a half without wearing it. That one even had a day wheel in Swedish which in retrospective was quite cool. In the end I never did buy it from him and eventually returned it. It was just something about it. Something about all of the 6139’s. To me they felt fragile and I just didn’t feel comfortable wearing them. I also didn’t like that push/pull quick set feature of the day/date configuration. It felt like they movement was going to give up any second and I hated that feeling.

The one I got from S.L. with Swedish day wheel that I never bought.

The day wheel says Tis for Tisdag (Tuesday).

But then one day a so called Pogue came flying my way for $230 and I could no longer look away. And from what I could tell it was all original. This was in March 2015 and the sales prices for the Pogue’s had just taken a serious leap upwards. I might have kept mine for a week before I sold it and I of course sold it for the same price that I got it for so no profit that time either, even though I easily could have made some. 

I gave the watch a shot and I didn’t like it. Simple as that. So now I know and don’t have to give it any more thought. The 6139’s simply aren't for me. End of story. I know there’s a lot of history and stories about this particular watch reference (why it’s called the Pogue etc.) that I haven’t mentioned but honestly, it doesn’t excite me so if it excites you there are plenty of other sites you can go on and read about that. To me this was just another flip.

#253 - The Seiko 6139-6002.


From February 1975.

You always want a day/date for Friday the 13th.


© All pictures by a Watch Flipper's Diary unless noted.