2017-09-22

No 256 - Seiko SBDC005

Did I really need to give the Seiko Sumo another go? Absolutely not. The second I opened up the box I said to myself “oh no, why?”

Alright, so it was orange. The orange faced Seiko’s have been proven to become quite uncommon as soon as they’ve been discontinued. The orange Sumo perhaps haven’t received a rare status yet, and perhaps it never will, but it is definitely more uncommon than the black and blue versions. So when I found one really cheap I just had to, as always, give it a try.

#256 - The Seiko Sumo SBDC005.




But it’s just too big. And it’s ugly. I don’t like the case, nor the bezel or its insert, not the font on the dial, not the 12 hour marker, not the bracelet. The list goes on and I’m just going to leave it at that…

...almost…

Recently there was a Zimbe version released, the SRPB055J, which had a dial that faded from black to blue, purple bezel insert, golden hands and crown, and with a PVD treated case and bracelet.  And it looked awesome! So weird that it became awesome. But it was way too expensive. Otherwise I might would have want to reconsider trying out the Sumo yet one more time.



© All pictures by a Watch Flipper's Diary unless noted.